This lovely brown bread is slightly sweetened with honey🍯 and lemon🍋, making it the perrrrrfect loaf. It’s super soft so it’s great for sandwiches, though it is equally delicious on its own thanks to the hint of lemon and honey tickling your taste buds when you bite into it. It’s really easy to make, takes about 3 hours including baking time, and fills the house with that heavenly fresh bread smell!🍞🍞🍞
- 4 1/2 cups wholemeal flour (approx. I ended up using slightly more whilst kneading the dough)
- 1 sachet (7g) dried active yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp. honey
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 tbsp. dairy free butter (I used vitalite, normal butter will work fine as well), melted
- Mix the honey in with the warm water so it’s all dissolved, sprinkle the yeast over the water and leave for 5 minutes so it becomes a little frothy.
- In a separate larger bowl, mix together the flour, salt and lemon zest. Once the 5 minutes is up, pour the yeast mix into the bowl of flour along with the melted butter and lemon juice.
- Mix together until the dough is slightly formed.
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until the dough is soft and elastic.
- Lightly butter a large bowl, place the dough in, cover with cling film and leave to rise in a large area for 45 minutes (or until doubled in size).
- Once the dough has risen, punch the dough back once (so it deflates). Stretch the dough out slightly into a rectangle, then fold the shorter sides into the middle of the dough, so they are overlapping slightly.
- Place the dough into a 2lb loaf tin, with the folded side on the bottom. Lightly dust some flour on top, cover again with the cling film and place back into a warm area to rise for another 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 (180 degrees).
- Once the dough has risen (will have risen quite a lot over the top of the tin, don’t worry this is fine), place onto the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 45- 50 minutes (I covered the bread with foil for the last 5 minutes to prevent it from getting too dark on top).
- Once baked, leave in the loaf tin to cool for about half an hour.
- Slice up and enjoy this slightly sweet, wholemeal loaf🍞.
Charlotte x x x