My birthdayyyyy cake🌼🌻🌸! Lemon drizzle + royal icing flowers = the best cake ever so of course I had to make it for my birthday.
Lemon drizzle is one of them standard bakes that I feel it is important to perfect. Sooooo if you haven’t quite found the perfect recipe yet then taa daaah!
This is also a really good recipe if you just need to whip up a easy cake for a special occasion (or if you’re just reallllly craving cake). It takes about an hour to bake but it is quite easy to prepare, and very very easy to eat…..
Hope you all enjoy ! 💛
(for the cake)
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 125g unsalted butter
- 225g caster sugar
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 2 large eggs
- 120ml milk (any type will work fine- I used oat milk)
(for the drizzle)
- 85g caster sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
(for the icing)
- 75g icing sugar
- 3 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Optional: green, yellow, pink and white royal icing to decorate
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 180°C electric or 160°C fan oven.
- Line a 8 inch by 4 inch loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- In a bowl sift together the flour and baking powder and sprinkle over a pinch of salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar with a hand held whisk until the mixture is light and fluffy- will only take a couple of minutes.
- Add in the grated lemon zest and whisk along with one of the eggs and 1 tbsp. of flour. Add in the second egg along with another tbsp. of flour and whisk until everything is incorporated together.
- Pour in about 1/3 of the flour mix with some milk and fold it in with a rubber/ silicone spatula or spoon. Repeat with another 1/3 flour mix plus milk and finally the last 1/3 flour and milk until everything is combined- be careful not to over mix the mixture here as this will keep the cake light and allow it to rise better.
- Tip the cake mixture into the lined loaf tin and place the cake onto the middle shelf of the preheated oven and bake for about 1 hour. It may take slightly longer or shorter depending on your type of oven. Check whether the cake has fully baked by inserting a metal skewer into the centre of the cake. If it is done the skewer will come out clean.
- Once the cake is baked, remove it from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for 10 mins. Once slightly cooled, transfer the cake to a cooling wrack.
- In a small bowl mix together the caster sugar and lemon juice for the drizzle.
- Poke lots of holes all over the top of the cake using a skewer and evenly spread the drizzle over the top of the cake. It’ll sink down into the cake and will make it extra sweet and lemony- yummm.
- Whilst the cake is cooling you can start making the icing. In a bowl mix the icing sugar with 3 tsp. lemon juice min until you have a smooth consistency.
- When the cake is completely cool, drizzle over the icing and decorate with your icing flowers and leaves if you wish. Leave the icing to set before you slice up and enjoy this lemony gorgeousness 🍋🍰🍋🍰🍋x x x
Charlotte x x x