Terry’s Chocolate Orange🤤 + caramel🤤 + orange shortbread🤤… dream?
The first challenge on Bake Off this week was to make chocolate millionaire shortbreads which are possibly one of my favourite things everrrrrrr (I say this for everything but these really are)… One of the contestants made chocolate orange ones and this made my mouth water so I had to try them for myself. As I
unfortunately have no one to share these with at the minute, I have used a loaf tin in this recipe which only makes 6 (large) slices but it can be easily doubled if you’d prefer to use a larger tin. These are the perfect tasty treat and I’m sure you’ll ❤ them as much as I do, Charlotte X
(for the shortbread)
- 120g plain flour
- 90g unsalted cold butter
- 40g caster sugar
- 2 tsp. orange extract
(for caramel middle)
- 25g butter
- 1/2 x 379g tin condensed milk
- 40g golden syrup
- 2 tsp. orange extract
- 1 Terry’s Chocolate Orange
- Extra chocolate orange for decoration
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 2, 150°C electric or 130°C fan oven.
- Line a 2 lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Combine the flour and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the cold butter into cubes and rub into the flour and sugar with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Tip in the 2 tsp. orange extract and mix in with a spoon until all the breadcrumbs are covered.
- Tip the mixture into the lined tin and press down with your hands or the back of the spoon until it is fairly compact and then prick the shortbread all over with a fork– this enables steam from the shortbread to escape when it is baking so the shortbread doesn’t crack.
- Place the shortbread on the middle shelf in the oven and bake for 40-45 mins- keep checking your shortbread, it should turn slightly golden and that’s when you know it is perfectly ready.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely in the tin- do not remove from the tin.
- For the caramel middle, heat the butter and condensed milk together in a saucepan over a low-medium heat until all the butter is melted.
- Add in the golden syrup and orange extract and increase the heat slightly to a medium- high heat and stir continuously for about 10 mins.
- Once the caramel has turned more golden, has thickened and is bubbling away, remove the pan from the heat and leave the caramel to cool for about 1 minute.
- Check the shortbread is completely cool and then pour over the salted caramel mixture and place in the fridge to slightly set.
- Whilst waiting, heat the Terry’s Chocolate Orange in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir occasionally until it has melted.
- Once fully melted, pour over the slightly set caramel and leave to cool again in the fridge. Once it has slightly set add on the extra chocolate orange slices if you wish.
- Then transfer to the fridge and leave it to cool completely before you cut it into slices and gobble them down.
Leave any comments or questions below, Charlotte X