Banana bread is delicious ! But maybe isn’t the prettiest of all bakes. And seeing as I love anything that has hearts (or flowers) on it I decided to make a hidden heart loaf cake 💛. I got the idea from a recipe by Tescos for a hidden heart raspberry cake (linked here) but as I wanted to make this recipe my own I decided to do banana bread- which I haven’t made in far too long. Now I have made this I am definitely going to try bake another loaf cake with a hidden pink heart though because the Tesco one just looks so so pretty!
- 3 ripe bananas
- 175g plain flour
- 175g caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter
- 30g cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. bicarbonate soda
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 2 large eggs
- 75g white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 180°C electric or 160°C fan oven and line a 20cm cake tin with greaseproof paper (I used a round tin though a square one would work fine too).
- In a large bowl mash up the ripe bananas with a fork.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the bananas, minus the cocoa powder and the chocolate chips, and mix together for a couple minutes with a hand held electric whisk until the mixture is smooth and lump free.
- Transfer approx. 300g of the mixture into a separate bowl and mix in the cocoa powder. Pour this into the prepared cake tin and bake in the preheated oven on the middle shelf for about 20 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Add the white chocolate chips to the rest of the mixture, cover the bowl with clingfilm and set aside.
- Whilst waiting for the chocolate cake to bake, line a 21cm/11cm/6.5cm loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Once the chocolate cake has baked, remove it from the oven and leave to cool in its tin for 10 mins. Then remove from the tin and allow to fully cool on a cooling rack- this will take about 25 mins. Turn down the oven to gas mark 3, 160°C electric or 140°C fan oven.
- When it is cool, move the cake onto a plate or any solid surface. Using a 5cm heart cookie cutter cut out 6 heart shapes (you may need more or less depending on how your cake has risen though there should be plenty enough cake to cut out how many you need).
- Spoon about 1/3 of the remaining banana loaf mixture into the prepared loaf tin then line the cut out cake hearts down the centre of the loaf pushing them slightly into the mix.
- Spoon the rest of the banana mix over the hearts making sure the mixture is evenly distributed.
- Place the loaf into the preheated oven, again on the middle shelf and bake for about 45 mins. I covered the loaf with tin foil for the last 15 mins to stop the top burning but to ensure the middle is fully cooked.
- Once baked perfectly remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 15 mins, then transfer to the wire cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- Slice up and impress everyone with the little hidden heart inside ❤️.