So I decided to jump on the avocado bandwagon and try baking with it! Avocado + chocolate… it just doesn’t seem like a natural combination, not like orange and chocolate or strawberries and chocolate which work together perfectly. But nonetheless I gave it a go and ended up with these amazing cupcakes.
I know it’s a a fairly common ingredient in vegan baking as a replacement for egg, and it’s such a popular food at the minute so when I found an amazing recipe by Daniela (her blog is dulceynatural) for avocado and chocolate cupcakes I thought why not give it a little try. And I definitely was not disappointed. This is a perfect recipe if you want to bake vegan chocolate cupcakes because they literally just taste like chocolate cupcakes! You wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between these and a normal chocolate cupcake recipe, and they are a little healthier so thats amazing!
I slightly edited the recipe by adding 50g plain chocolate (74% cocoa solids, therefore vegan) and swapping the vegetable oil to the new dairy free coconut and almond spread by flora. I also halved the recipe because my cupcake cases were quite small but this still ended up making 10 cupcakes. If you want to see the original recipe by Daniela I have it linked here.
- 1/2 a ripe avocado
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. bicarbonate soda powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 75g caster sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 100ml soy milk
- 15g cocoa powder
- 35g flora coconut and almond spread
- 50g melted 74% dark chocolate
- Add the avocado, vanilla extract, soy milk, flora spread and melted chocolate into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix together the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour a small bit of the dry ingredients into the bowl with the avocado mixture and using an electric hand whisk beat together the ingredients.
- Slowly add the rest of the dry ingredients until everything is mixed together. The mixture will be thick and not at all runny.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 180°C electric or 160°C fan oven.
- Line a cupcake tray with 10 cupcake cases and add the cake mixture to them evenly.
- Place the tray onto the middle shelf of a preheated oven and bake for about 18 mins (Daniela’s recipe suggested baking for 25 mins so therefore they may need this amount of time depending on your oven- you will know they are baked when a skewer inserted comes out clean).
- Remove from the oven and allow the cupcakes to complete cool on a cooling rack.
- Decorate how you like- Daniela made a mango icing for hers which sounds delicious, but I just opted for some buttercream and topped with some left over chocolate.
I really hope you enjoy baking these, they have 100% inspired me to do more vegan baking. Charlotte x