I don’t normally like making brownies because I feel it’s really tricky to make them perfectly but these ones are so soft and chocolatey and not cakey at all. And they’re also actually dairy free :)… ♥
To me cakey brownies aren’t very nice, they’re too dry and not chocolately enough and I find many brownie recipes turn out like this. For this reason I decided to do something different and make vegan brownies.
Oreos actually contain no milk products at all and for this reason they can be classed as vegan. Though, on the Oreo website they do state that Oreos may be cross- contacted with milk products during production which means they could potentially contain traces of milk- http://www.oreo.co.uk/faq. To me I would still class these brownies as vegan and dairy free but if you want to be 100% sure just skip the step where the Oreos are added. You could add something else here if you wish though they will still taste gorgeous without anything extra added!
- 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 125g self- raising flour
- 25g ground almonds
- 60g cocoa powder
- 1/2 flat tsp. baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 150g dark chocolate (over 70% cocoa solids)
- 1 tsp. coffee granules
- 85g vegan margarine (I used vitalite)
- 3 tbsp. golden syrup
- 260g golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 154g pack Oreo cookies (15 Oreos)
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 180°C electric or 160°C fan oven.
- Line a 23.5x 16cm tin with greaseproof paper.
- Combine the 2 tbsp. flaxseed with 6 tbsp. cold water, give it a quick stir and leave to sit on the side- this acts as a replacement for egg. It will look watery at first but after it has sat for a few minutes it becomes quite thick which is perfectly how we want it.
- In a bowl sat over a pan of simmering water, melt the chocolate together with the coffee granules, vegan margarine and 60ml of water. Stir occasionally so it is all combined together and once everything is melted give it a big stir so the mixture looks really smooth. Leave in the bowl on the side to slightly cool.
- Meanwhile, mix together the flour, ground almonds, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Once cooled slightly, pour the caster sugar into the melted chocolate mixture and beat with a hand-held electric whisk until everything is perfectly combined and soft- should just take about 2-3 mins.
- Add in the flaxseed mix, which will now be quite thick, along with the golden syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk again for a further 2 mins until all is combined and not lumpy.
- Lastly, fold in the flour mixture with a rubber/ plastic spatula or spoon and keep folding until the dry and wet ingredients are mixed together and form a thick, gooey brownie mix.
- Pour into the lined tin and arrange the Oreos in a single layer over the top of the mixture, 1 pack fits perfectly using this size tin. Press them down slightly with your finger so they are pushed into the brownie mixture, though making sure none of the top of the cookie is covered.
- Bake for 30 mins on the middle shelf of the oven. Once baked leave to slightly cool in the tin and then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before cutting and eating- YUM! 🍫🍪
(you honestly won’t be able to tell these are made without egg and normal butter)