These are probably my favourite things I have ever ever baked. Salted caramel tastes insane with anything and it just works perfectly in this recipe.
Using condensed milk makes the caramel in the middle chewy and not runny and using a whole tin makes sure there is lots of caramel sandwiched in the middle compared to the other layers- the perfect ratio for me 😍.
(for the shortbread)
- 225g plain flour
- 180g unsalted cold butter
- 75g caster sugar
(for caramel middle)
- 50g butter
- 1x 379g tin condensed milk
- 75g golden syrup
- 3 tsp. sea salt flakes (+more to taste if you fancy)
- 350g chocolate
- Toppings of choice (I used chocolate hearts)
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 2, 150°C electric or 130°C fan oven.
- Line a 23.5 x 16cm tin with greaseproof paper- this will give you medium sized shortbread. If you want really thick, use a smaller tin.
- Combine the flour and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the cold butter into cubes and rub into the flour and sugar with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs will still seem quite buttery though.
- Tip the mixture into the lined tin and press down with your hands or the back of the spoon until it is fairly compact and then prick the shortbread all over with a fork– this enables steam from the shortbread to escape when it is baking so the shortbread doesn’t crack.
- Place the shortbread on the middle shelf in the oven and bake for 45 mins- keep checking your shortbread, it should turn slightly golden and that’s when you know it is perfectly ready.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely in the tin- do not remove from the tin.
- For the caramel middle, heat the butter and condensed milk together in a saucepan over a low-medium heat until all the butter is melted.
- Add in the golden syrup and increase the heat slightly to a medium heat and stir continuously for about 10 mins.
- Stir in the salt and increase the heat to a medium-high temperature, stirring continuously to avoid the mixture burning. It may be wise to use a heavy-based saucepan to prevent this.
- Once the caramel has darkened and turned a more golden- brown colour (this may take a while) remove the pan from the heat and leave the caramel to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Check the shortbread is completely cool and then pour over the salted caramel mixture and leave on the side to slightly set.
- Whilst waiting, heat the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and leave it to melt, stirring it just a couple of times.
- Once fully melted, pour over the slightly set caramel and leave to cool down on the side. Once it has cooled slightly add any toppings of your choice if you wish just to make it look a little prettier.
- Then transfer to the fridge and (try) leave it to cool completely before you cut it into slices- definitely the bigger the slices the better!
Really hope you love these as much as me, Charlotte x